For when it's cold outside and you're wanting a warmer alternative to your smoothie bowl try this simple delicious Tofu Scramble recipe :)
- 8 ounces (220g) extra firm tofu
- Olive oil
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups kale, loosely chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
- Hot Sauce
- Breakfast potatoes, toast, and/or fruit
- Pat tofu dry and roll in a clean, absorbent towel with something heavy on top, such as a cast iron skillet, for 15 minutes.
- While tofu is draining, prepare sauce by adding dry spices to a small bowl and adding enough water to make a pourable sauce. Set aside.
- Prep veggies and warm a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1-2 Tbsp olive oil and the onion and red pepper. Season with a pinch each salt and pepper and stir. Cook until softened - about 5 minutes.
- Add kale, season with a bit more salt and pepper, and cover to steam for 2 minutes. In the meantime, unwrap tofu and use a fork to crumble into bite-sized pieces.
- Use a spatula to move the veggies to one side of the pan and add tofu. Sauté for 2 minutes, then add sauce, pouring it mostly over the tofu and a little over the veggies. Stir immediately, evenly distributing the sauce. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until tofu is slightly browned.
- Serve immediately with the breakfast potatoes, toast or fruit. I like to add more flavor with salsa, hot sauce and/or fresh cilantro. Serves 2.
***Recipe via Minimalist Baker